Parent Support Group
Why the Need for a Parent Support Group?
Parenting children and adolescents with a Learning Disability and Attention Hyperactivity Disorder is sometimes a challenging and frustrating experience. Our parents support group provides parents and guardians with the opportunities to exchange problems, solutions and other information with other parents and professionals. This allows parents to form networks with other parents and to build self-esteem and self-confidence about their parenting styles.
What We Do
- Help parents through the different stages of accepting and managing of their children with LD and ADHD.
- Share common experiences of parenting, especially in handling emotions and problems in a positive way
- Promote awareness of the services available in the schools and the community for children and young adults with ADHD
- Create an atmosphere that will rebuild self-esteem and foster confidence in parenting skills
- Provide a network among parents for finding appropriate services for their children with LD/ADHD
- Educate parents about LD/ADHD to enable them to advocate for their children in the school system
Aims and Objectives
- To provide a forum for exchange of problems, solutions and information for parents of children with ADHD and LD.
- To provide an opportunity for an informal meeting among parents with similar needs, problems and concerns.
- To serve as emotional and informational support for one another.
- To forge a close alliance amongst parents with similar needs and interests in order to advocate for services for children with LD and/ or ADHD in York Region.
- To empower families to create and achieve goals through support and encouragement.
MEETINGS ARE HELD MONTHLY, FROM OCTOBER TO JUNE
If you would like to attend or need more information,
Please call 905-884-7933, ext. 21
Time: Tuesdays at 9:30am – 12:00pm *first time participants, please arrive at 9:15am*
Loyal True Blue and Orange Home Building
Learning Disabilities Association of York Region
11181 Yonge Street.
Richmond Hill, ON L4S 1L2
Meetings held in Room B07 (Located in the Basement)
September 12, 2017
October 10, 2017
November 14, 2017
December 12, 2017
January 9, 2018
February 13, 2018
March 20, 2018
April 10, 2018
May 8, 2018
June 12, 2018
For after hour support call Renee Flannery at 905-884-7933 extension 21